Sunday, January 14, 2007

Luke's Top 12 Albums of 2006

Ok, here's my top 10 albums of 2006. The caveat is that these albums are not necessarily released in 2006, but added to my iPod library in 2006.

We'll start with my top 4 ...

1. Phoenix - It's Never Been Like That

Probably the most solid album of 2006 from beginning to end. Each tune is chock full of poppy goodness (except for North which is its own unique kind of gold).

2. Mates of State - Bring It Back

Maybe the top band I was introduced to this year. Who knew I liked married piano rock?

3. Dear and the Headlights - Both Demos

This is a band out of Phx that has its first non-demo coming out in just a few weeks. Be on the lookout for "Small Steps Heavy Hooves" by Dear and the Headlights.

4. The Whitest Boy Alive - Dreams

Another of Erlend Oye's creations ( Kings of Convenience) . Burning (Track 1) might be the song of the year.

And now for the rest in no particular order ...

-Clap Your Hands Say Yeah

Pure gold. Except for the first track. I even came to love the song where he says "child star" 27 times in a row.

-Guster - Ganging Up On The Sun

Another solid solid relase from these boys. Just buy whatever they put out. They haven't missed yet.

-John Mayer - The Village Sessions

He basically took all my favs from his big album (Continuum) and acousticized them ... and not so suprisingly I can't get enough.

-Josh Rouse - Subtitulo

This guy also puts out very very solid albums. This one is probably his best all around album.

-Mates of State - Team Boo

Refer to the previous album as more proof that this is the top band I came across this year. This is their earlier release and, while not as polished, still has some real hits.

-The Raconteurs - Broken Boy Soldiers

Jack Black. Ironically, his middle name is GOLD!

-The Spinto Band - Nice and Nicely Done

I was introduced to these guys by Audiocrush. 7 very young guys put out some great songs. Don't miss Mandy, one of the songs of the year for me.

-The Strokes - First Impressions of Earth

I recently learned that people didn't like their 2nd album. I really didn't know. I think this 3rd album puts them at 3 for 3.

No comments: